Strengthen Your Academic Skills
If you think your skills aren't quite up to speed for college, don't give up. Take time to prepare yourself. There are many ways to get a college degree. You just have to take the path that's right for you.
ACT offers these tips:
- Take a summer or night school class.
- Use test score information to see where you need work. Score information from the ACT, for example, can tell you what subjects you need help with and what you can do to raise your skills to the next level. Remember, a low score doesn't necessarily mean you're bad in a subject. It just means you haven't learned the subject yet.
- Work with a tutor to learn what you don't know yet.
- Check out study aids—books, videotapes, audiotapes and computer programs—at your public library or a local bookstore.
- Ask your counselor or a teacher about ways you can build your academic skills.