Frequently Asked Questions
Signing up for the ACT
General Questions about the ACT
- Can I get a copy of the test questions and answer key?
- Should I test again?
- What accommodations are available for students with disabilities?
- What is an ACT Web account and why do I need one?
- What is the ACT?
- What is the difference between the ACT and SAT?
- When should I test?
- Who can take the ACT?
- Why take the ACT?
- How can I add/change/cancel my college choices or correct my high school code after I register?
- How can I make changes to my registration?
- How do I pay when I register online?
- I can't test on the date I registered for. What can I do?
- I want to cancel my registration. Can I get a refund?
- I've changed my mind about taking the ACT writing test. Can I add or remove this test option?
- Is online registration secure for payment by credit card?
- What are the requirements for the name I use when registering and testing?
- Why was I assigned to a test center that was not one of my original choices? Can I change this?
Photo Upload Questions
- Are photos required for students who take the ACT as part of required statewide or district-administered testing on a school day?
- Are photos required for students who take the ACT at a college or university campus through residual testing?
- Are photos required for students who take the ACT internationally?
- Are photos required for students who take the test on a standby basis?
- What provision is ACT making for students whose religious beliefs prohibit having a photo taken?
- What will ACT do with the examinee’s photo?
- What will be done with the photos after ACT has used them?
- What would prevent an examinee from uploading someone else’s photo when they register and then having that same person show up on test day with a fake ID?
- Will high schools be required to check the photos on students’ ACT score reports to verify the students’ identity?
- Will student photos be included in score reports sent to colleges for admission purposes?
- Am I eligible for a fee waiver?
- Can homebound or confined students take the ACT?
- Is extended time allowed for examinees based on limited English proficiency?
- Is Non-Saturday testing available?
- Is the ACT offered in languages other than English?
- What if there are no test centers scheduled near my home for any test date?
Taking the test
- Can I change my test date or test center on test day?
- Can I use a calculator?
- Frequently Asked Questions – Computer Algebra System (CAS) Functionality
- How do I get ready for test day?
- Is standby testing the same as a Test Date Change?
- What happens if my test center has to reschedule the test?
- What happens if there is bad weather on test day?
- What identification will I have to show at the test center?
- What if I missed the test date I signed up for?
- What if I've lost or do not have my ticket?
- What if I've missed the late registration deadline for my test date but need to test that day?
- What is standby testing?
- What should I take to the test center?
- What time does the test start?
- Why do I need to bring my ACT ticket?
- Does ACT call to sell test prep services or give information to test prep companies?
- How many questions are there and how long will the test take?
- Which subject areas do the multiple-choice tests cover?
Viewing scores online
- After I see my scores, can I cancel reporting to colleges?
- Is there any way to see my scores sooner?
- What can cause scores to take longer?
- Why are my multiple-choice scores available online before my writing scores?
- Why can't I see my scores when I try to view them online?
- Can you give me my scores by phone, email, chat, or fax?
- How can I get my scores more quickly?
- I haven't received my scores yet. How long does it take?
- Where are my Test Information Release materials? (copy of test questions, etc.)
- Why can't a college locate my ACT scores?
- Can I cancel my Web or phone order for my scores?
- Can I order score reports at no charge for a previous test date?
- Can I send my multiple-choice scores without sending my writing scores?
- Can I send my scores to a high school or uncoded college? Can I order a personal copy of my score report?
- Can I send my writing test score without sending my multiple-choice scores?
- Can I send scores from two different dates to a college as one score report?
- How often are scores reported to colleges?
- What if I want my scores sent somewhere, but don't remember when I took the ACT?
- When will the college receive my scores?
- I don't think my test was scored correctly. Can I have it hand-scored?
- What are ACT's scoring policies if there is a problem at a test center?
- What is the highest possible ACT score?
- How do I correct personal information on my score report?
- How do I delete a test date record?
- What is my ACT ID and why is it important?
- When will my college need to have my ACT scores?
- Which scores are reported if I test more than once?
- Will anyone be able to see the essay I wrote?
- Will my college accept my student copy of the ACT report?