How to Apply for Grants and Scholarships
Scholarships and grants come from a variety of sources. A few sources of grants and scholarships are:
- Federal and state governments
- Individual colleges and universities
- Community organizations
- Parents' and students' employers
Scholarships typically do not have to be repaid. Many scholarships are extremely competitive, so start researching early. To find grants and scholarships:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to give you an idea whether you are eligible for need-based financial aid.
- Ask employers, clubs, associations, or other local groups if they offer scholarships.
- Talk to the financial aid office at the college you plan to attend.
- Talk to your high school counselor and find out if they know of any grants or scholarships.
- Use the Internet to do a scholarship search. Review our list of financial aid resources for ideas about where to begin.
- Beware of scholarship scams.